Back to Article List
Home Care Solutions that Help Seniors Live with Chronic Diseases
Dec 12, 2017 by Comfort Keepers of Blaine
Aging adults are faced with many challenges as they grow older in life. Some of these challenges can be easily overcome, while others linger on, such as chronic diseases. Though chronic diseases don’t usually just go away, quality home care solutions can help seniors cope with them. There are services provided by home care professionals that assist seniors with daily activities and ensure their well-being as they live with one or more of the common chronic illnesses that plague seniors.
A quality life is possible for aging adults who have been diagnosed with chronic illnesses. Every day can be different and not knowing what to expect, can be frightening. However, with proper care, seniors can enjoy peace of mind because their care providers ensure that they are taking the necessary steps to treat or remain within the medical guidelines of their condition.
Here are a few of the chronic illnesses that seniors may face as they age:
- Senior care providers assist aging adults with the most common types of heart disease, such as coronary heart disease, hypertension, stroke, arteriosclerosis, and congenital heart disease.
- Cardiovascular disease is any condition of the heart that involves diseased vessels, structural issues surrounding the heart, or blood clots.
- The risk of heart disease can be greatly reduced with a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, caregivers are there to ensure that aging adults are eating high fiber-meals, consuming the necessary nutrients, limiting alcohol intake, exercising properly and taking their prescribed and OTC meds as instructed by their physician.
- Affecting more than 44 million adults 50 and older, this condition affects more than 44 million adults but is more common in women
- This condition causes bones to become brittle and weak, which makes it easier for seniors to break their bones when doing common things, such as bending over, coughing or unfortunately, if they take a fall.
- Caregivers assist seniors in their daily lives by creating conditions that reduce the risk of injuries and falls, they encourage them to stop smoking, omit or limit their intake of all, and introduce a diet that promotes healthy bones. Seniors are also encouraged to exercise or remain physically active, daily.
Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome
- Unfortunately, 75% of adults that are 60 and older, are either obese or overweight. Obesity is typically related to diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions.
- Home care solutions such as home health aides, assist seniors by encouraging healthy eating habits, regular exercise and teaching them to remain proactive in their food choices by selecting foods that are free of trans-fat but filled with fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Chronic diseases are common in seniors and can be life-threatening if not treated properly. Seniors who take advantage of home care solutions find it easier to control the chronic illnesses that they face because they have the assistance of caring professionals on a daily basis. If your loved one who has some sort of chronic illness or disease needs assistance, contact us to schedule a free in-home consultation today!